Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Texas Library Association Annual Conference 2010


The TLA Annual Conference was held this year in San Antonio. I love San Antonio but with "global warming" making spring weather everywhere a little crazy, we librarians had to carry umbrellas and sweaters with us everyday of this year's conference. But even the daily drizzle couldn't dampen the enthusiasm of this librarian as she attended workshops, presentations and strolled through the exhibit halls.

Among the presentations I attended were some on creating library centers and learning experiences around the elementary science TEKS, using props and magic with storytelling, and tips for developing an effective presentation toolkit. I am excited about sharing some of these ideas with teachers at Moye and using some of these ideas with my Moye babies. As the TLA District 6 councilor, I am beginning to get involved with TLA on a deeper level and look forward to having a voice in next year's conference. I have also been chosen for the Bluebonnet Reading Program selection committee and will serve a three year term, selecting the books that are among the 20 Bluebonnet nominees during my stead.

I attended the Bluebonnet Reading Program Award luncheon and even met winning author and illustrator, sister Janet Stevens and Susan Stevens Crummel, respectively. Their book
Help Me, Mr. Mutt! was the second place choice among Moye 3rd, 4th and 5th graders. We chose Martina the Beautiful Cockroach, which was the second place winner state-wide.

Each evening after a day at the conference, my sister Valerie, a librarian in Spring, Texas, and I would return to our hotel room and scrapbook. We had photographs, stickers and scrapbook paper all over our beds. Great fun!

I would like to thank my principal, Alicia Ayala, for finding money in the school budget to help me with the expenses of this trip. I hope by sharing some of what I learned, all of us at Moye can benefit from the great presentations at TLA 2010.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Thanks for sharing Leslie.

    Sherita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog! I really wish I could've been there with y'all, but I am so glad you were able to have fun despite the rain! We're REALLY going to have a good time next year, though. I can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. check out my name!

    ReplyDelete